Established in the
fall of 1999, the Friends of Emory Forest seek to support reforestation
and forest maintenance throughout the Emory University campus.
Friends of Emory Forest Mission Statement
Emory, in a truly unique position as a destination university in a suburban area, is possessed of several islands of diverse woodlands, which, when coupled with other nearby remnants such as Fernbank Forest, Deepdene Park, and the wooded Druid Hills neighborhood, exemplifies the great Eastern Deciduous Forest, one of the most biodiverse and resilient temperate communities on the planet. Emory University , via its Campus Master Plan, has committed to leave 48% of its 700 acres of land undeveloped.
The mission of Friends of Emory Forest is to work collaboratively with the university community to provide forest-related educational opportunities, and to celebrate, protect, and help care for the forested lands of Emory University .
To accomplish this mission, FOEF efforts are focused on:
- Enhancing awareness among members of the university community, Emory Healthcare patients and their families, and residents of surrounding neighborhoods of the uniqueness of our university setting within an urban forest.
- Providing educational and recreational opportunities in the forests while working to preserve sensitive areas of the forest that are vulnerable to human impacts.
- Participating in university-wide planning efforts that involve the forested lands.
- Supporting implementation of Emory's Sustainability Vision, focusing on those portions that involve the forested lands.
- Collaborating with other campus organizations, alumni and community groups to plant trees , improve the quality and natural diversity of the Emory's forested lands, and care for greenspaces both on the Emory campus and in the surrounding communities.
- Assisting in raising funds to support forest management and sustainable living efforts.
- Recognizing greenspace protection efforts of other community organizations through an awards program. Revised May, 2007
The campus master
Emory University outlines areas projected to be preserved as green spaces.
These are shown in a Facilities
and Management Division map.
Friends of Emory Forest
PO Box 121045
Atlanta, GA 30322